Sunday, January 12, 2014

Transformation Challenge Begins Today

Today is January 12, 2014. I sit here in the Orlando airport with my dear friend Liz. I got to experience Disney and the Magic Kingdom for the first time as an adult. Other than the fact that there was only one place in the Magic Kingdom that served glasses of Merlot and Malbec and we constantly were dodging strollers and awkward moments of parents yelling at their disgruntled kids, we had a blast. One of the many tag lines for Disney is "the place where dreams come true." I'm not quite sure if any of my dreams came true, but one thing is for sure, I'm alive. This is my "year of gratitude" as coined by friend Mikael who lives in Washington state. Today is the first day of my gym's sponsored Transformation Challenge. Many have deeply entrenched thoughts on losing weight, gaining weight, getting stronger or faster, or making better life choices. All these things are great and I can't wait to see my friends pursue their dreams. I will encourage them every step of the way. This year, I would like my "transformation" to be something that I need instead of something that I want. I need to deepen my faith in all things and constantly work on improving my psychological, spiritual and physical condition. Why?  Because like the Drive by Truckers say, "I'm just trying to stay focused on the righteous path...I don't know God but I fear His wrath."  My daily salvation is at stake here in life unless I can continuously be gracious and working on making my faith life more rock solid. 

My medium will be through competitive powerlifting, as it has been for the last year of my life.  I hope the direction of this blog takes off as a form of catharsis for me, accountability, and maybe even entertainment and comedic stories for my few friends who will follow this blog. I hope by the end of this year to have a USAPL American Record in the deadlift for my weight class. I know I can do it through the amazing help and encouragement from the coaches in my gym, Steve and Phil. My pursuit has to be rooted in humility and focus as I get to walk into competitions this year with new teammates who have never competed before. Here's to 2014. Where I will try everyday to keep the faith and live tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment