Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bluegrass Reminders that Broken Hearts Heal

Through the years, one of my favorite North Carolina bands, Chatham County Line, has helped me close my eyes and tread through the tough times. Before I even knew it, my eyes were opened and the pain would temporarily subside.  Consider my favorite "Alone in New York."  This has always been one of those songs that has made me feel less "alone" when I have been heartbroken.  It was always a go-to listen to remind me, that the broken hearted in the world can always ache in solidarity with each other.  This particular verse was ever-present proof,

"As the subway cars I ride, holding on to the shifting tide, the people all look away. But in their silence they pray, that there's someone out there, in this big city, someone out there, someone for me..."


Our hearts break for so many reasons. Family members and friends pass on. We love and we lose. We miss someone like hell. We experience financial setbacks, familial concerns, physical sickness, or spiritual emptiness that fuels a loss of faith. I was thinking today, that I always played this song when I was actually lonely myself. It popped up on a spotify playlist this morning while I was cleaning my house, watching my two basset hounds chase each other around, wagging their tails happy like two hogs rolling around in mud. All of a sudden it dawned on me, I am not lonely anymore. Not today. Not at this moment. I smiled listening to the lyrics knowing that eternal truth that all the saints and sages have passed onto us, broken hearts do mend. As the Carolina sun shone through my den window I felt satisfied knowing that their wisdom was true. We may not always know the hour or the day when these states subside and we can be in the clear. Maybe that is all part of God's genius master plan. If our sufferings in this life are truly redemptive, no wonder why we start to feel better again. I know for the rest of my time on earth, I should predict that these bouts could be around the next corner.  When they are, I can rely on this bluegrass wisdom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment